How do you rank well on the Google SERP? Is it just the province of giant websites like Forbes and Buzzfeed? Or can you fight your way into a top spot?
Well, in short, the answer is “yes”. You can get on top of the Google SERP and, in this article, we’re going to go over 5 strategies you can use to help you do it.
Choose realistic keywords.
Anyone can get the top spot in Google, if they target the right keywords. For instance, if I optimized a page for “blue wubbie nubbie doll,” I could probably grab the top stop in a couple of days. However (and it’s a big however), would I actually want to rank for this phrase? Probably not, considering it’s not even a real product.
Keep Creating Fresh Content
Since the Google Caffeine update, content freshness has become one of the most important ranking factors. The update was launched to ensure that the search engine can improve the efficiency with which it crawls and stores data. It has also managed to provide much fresher results in searches.
At the same time, it brought about a need for webmasters and website owners to ensure that their site always has fresh content.
That’s why if you wish to maintain your top three position in search results, your content should always remain fresh. This involves creating new pages and blog posts, updating your old content with new information and new keywords, and more.
Before updating your page content or creating new pages, you should also conduct thorough keyword research. For this, you can use the Google Keyword Planner, which you’re likely already familiar with. Look for keywords that are trending at the moment and use them to replace the ones you’ve been using if they’re no longer popular.
Create Your Own Backlinks
Of course, if you really want to ensure that your content gets backlinks, why not do it yourself? If you write articles for other websites, you’re the one who decides (well, with the input of that website’s editor) which high authority content to link to!
This sort of strategy takes a lot of work, but it’s one of the more reliable ways to get backlinks from other websites. Most publishers—including yours truly—love free, high-quality content, so if you’re willing to create good content for their site, they’ll usually be willing to publish it.
At a minimum, you’ll usually get at least one backlink to your website in your author profile and, if you’ve got great content on your website, you may be able to snag a few extra links in the actual article itself.
Acquire links to your site.
Links continue to play a critical role in terms of SEO. In fact, according to Moz’s 2015 Search Engine Ranking Factors report, inbound links are the single most important element for achieving high rankings.
Some strategies you can use to acquire links to your site include:
- Adding your site to local business directories and review sites like Yelp, TripAdvisor and Google My Business.
- Guest posting on popular sites in your niche. Even if you don’t get a followed link in your post or bio, the increased visibility you get makes it worthwhile.
- Creating evergreen content that other bloggers and journalists will want to link to (e.g., How-to posts, tutorials, guides, etc.)
- Looking for broken links on industry sites, and requesting that they replace them with links to your site.
- Getting free PR (and mentions and links) from HARO.
Optimize Your Site for Mobile and Voice Search
- Obviously, make your site mobile-friendly and fast (page speed is important!)
- Adapt your content strategy to catch those featured snippet opportunities to outrank your competitors. Mobile users seldom have time to scroll, and with voice search there’s only one result being read to the user. This makes featured snippet optimization incredibly essential for your online visibilit — you are either there or nowhere.
There’s a lot to featured snippet optimization (which deserves a whole separate article which I already did), but it all comes down to:
- Researching current featured snippets for your important queries (and learning from them)
Structuring your content with H2-H3 subheadings that address questions behind queries triggering featured snippets
- Providing quick, concise answers (no longer than 90 characters) below each subhead for Google to grab and feature.
If you include these steps in your writing guidelines for your content creators to use, you are halfway there:
- Use this writing checklist that includes both of the above (and more useful) guidelines
- Scale your content creation process using Narrato to build a team of content creators that do a good job following those guidelines. The beauty of this platform is that it matches you to the most suitable writers automatically and, after some time, you have a solid team that knows your requirements and creates content fast. In an era when you need a lot of content, and you need it fast, this is a life-saver:
Maintain Good Social Signals
Social signals have been considered among the top search ranking factors by Backlinko. Although social shares and engagement may not have a direct impact on your ranking, Backlinko suggests that they improve your website’s overall authority. In addition to this, they indirectly affect your ranking by driving more traffic and helping you gain quality backlinks.
So the obvious point here is that you need to continue maintaining good social signals if you wish to remain in the top three position in search results. First of all, you need to be active as possible on social media. There’s a good chance you already have a posting schedule. But there’s no harm in experimenting with your posting frequency and timing to see if there’s a way to further improve engagement.
Additionally, your posts and captions should always content a relevant keyword. This will ensure the visibility of said post with a relevant audience. And with a relevant audience noticing your content, you could improve the chances of driving clicks and shares. This will, in turn, help you ensure that your position always remains in the top three even when there are competitors trying to get ahead of you.
You can further improve your social engagement with the help of social listening tools such as Sentione. This tool helps you keep track of social media mentions about your brand, so you can react and engage accordingly. You’ll also be able to keep track of conversations that contain certain keywords relevant to your product. The more engaged your audience is, the better your social signal.
Related content Techniques to get high keyword rankings on Google
For more details about our seo service packages, pls contact us